Objectives of the ACFSA Voluntary Certification Program:
- To provide a nationally recognized professional certification program for individuals employed in the corrections field
- To enhance professional development and recognition
- To support professional continuing education.
Successful completion of this course gives you the designation of CFSM -- Certified Correctional Food Systems Manager.
Technical training and recognition of competence are the cornerstones of professional growth and advancement. The purpose of this comprehensive and exciting new course is to provide members of ACFSA the opportunity to obtain that recognition, in addition to meeting ACA and correctional agency training requirements. Further, participation in this course will foster a professional and knowledgeable workforce in one of the key areas of the correctional environment: food service.
- Course work includes a minimum of 80 hours of classroom and home study work.
- Field experience provides an opportunity to practice what you learn through the course work.
- Testing gives you the opportunity to show the benefit of the course and field work (a proctor will be required to complete the testing process).
- Introduction to the correctional foodservice profession
- Basics of menu planning
- Understanding nutrition and modified diets
- Quantity food production practices and standards, receiving, storage, preparation, holding and service
- Warewashing and kitchen sanitation
- Safety in the workplace
- Custody, security and working with inmates.
The fee of $299 for ACFSA members will include all necessary materials (workbook, manual and textbooks), including:
- Correctional Food System Management Course Workbook;
- ACFSA Food Service Manual;
- Drummond, K.E. and Brefere, L.M., Nutrition for Foodservice and Culinary Professionals, Sixth Edition, John Wiley and Sons (New York), 2007.
- Grossbauer, S., Foodservice Management & Food Safety, Dietary Managers Association, 2006.
Recertification is required every two years; the fee is $35.00.
Use of CFSM Designation:
As a Certified Correctional Food Systems Manager (CFSM), you may use the CFSM designation with your name on letterheads, business cards, and all forms of address.
Certification is for individuals only. The CFSM designation may not be used to imply that an institution or firm is certified.